Monday, June 30, 2008

JCSU leader prepares to step away

Photo: Dr. Dorothy Cowser Yancy.

CHARLOTTE -- Nearly 50 years ago, Johnson C. Smith University’s 12th president set foot on the campus, first as a student and then years later at a leader. Now, Dr. Dorothy Cowser Yancy says it is time to say good bye. Yancy started at JCSU in 1960, and while at first she was homesick, the school would eventually be her home away from home. Upon graduating in 1964, she knew her time at the university was far from over.

"I left here determined to make Johnson C. Smith University proud of me,” said the first woman to ever be the school’s president. "It was different coming back as interim president. I thought I'd be here for maybe six months because … I figured by September I'd be back in the classroom at Georgia Tech and life would continue. I never expected to be here for 14 years."

CONTINUE READING, CLICK BLOG TITLE.

No comments: